The Cosmetology program at Panola College is an “open” program; however, the program requires additional application and requirements. Admission to Panola College does not guarantee admission to specific courses or programs of study.
The Cosmetology program is licensed by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation Commission to provide students with both theory and practical skills in all phases of hairstyling, manicures, pedicures, make up application, and salon management. The program provides instruction designed to prepare students to attain licenses in three areas of training: operator and nail technology.
Our student’s practical skills are developed through experience in an on-site salon which is equipped and managed, according to industry standards, by the students with instructor supervision. Students completing the necessary clock hours in the chosen area of training are certified to take the state examination administered by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation. After passing the examination, the individual is licensed to work in the area of training in the beauty-care industry in the state of Texas.
Shelby College Center
Center, Texas 75935
- Paula Fults - Cosmetology, Center
- Patti Redmon - Cosmetology, Carthage
- Bobbie Smith - Cosmetology, Center and Carthage
Areas of Study
- Cosmetology - Operator
- Nail Technology
How to Apply to the Cosmetology Program
- You must apply and be admitted to Panola College.
- Call the Carthage campus at (903) 693-2056 or the Center campus at (936) 598-6135 and speak with a Cosmetology instructor to receive advisement/mentoring.
- Complete approved assessment test. Contact the Testing Center at (903) 693-2036 to schedule, if needed.
- Complete the application packet found on the Cosmetology webpage at https://www.panola.edu/cosmetology.
- Submit the completed application packet to the Cosmetology Department.
Requirements of the Cosmetology Program
- Be 17 years of age before the State Board Examination.
- Must submit to a criminal background check (to be completed at the time of application). If affected by background check results, the student will be advised of their ineligibility before the start of the program.
- Student permit and examination fee (currently $25, paid to the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation by certified check or money order prior to enrollment).
- Three 1.5 inch by ⅕ inch headshot color photos.
For program-specific information and FAQs, please visit the Cosmetology program link: https://www.panola.edu/cosmetology.
- Textbooks, student equipment kit and any additional supplies as needed.
- Suitable uniforms and accessories.
- Provide transportation and expenses for state examination site.
- Expenses for field trips.
System of Grading
The cosmetology program operates on a departmental grade scale which differs from college-wide practice. The cosmetology grade scale is as follows:
A = 90 - 100
B = 80 - 89
C = 70 - 79
F = Below 70
The mission of the cosmetology program is to prepare students to care for hair, nails, and skin with emphasis in hygiene, sanitation, customer relations, and salon management.
To provide skills in cosmetology that prepares the student to receive state licensure and successfully enter the job market.
According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook (accessed 3/22/20), employment of barbers, hairdressers, and cosmetologists is projected to grow 8 percent from 2018 to 2028.